Cloud computing is growing at a very high pace in the IT industry around the world. Many companies have started moving towards cloud computing and accessing their data from a cloud database designed for the virtualized computing environment.
The cloud database is implemented using cloud computing, which means utilizing the software and hardware resources of the cloud computing service provider. A cloud database is used as a service, and It is also called Database-as-a-Service (DBaaS). The cloud database will become the most adopted technology for storing huge amounts of data by many companies worldwide.
It is more complicated than deploying the relational database to a cloud server. It goes beyond that. It entails bringing additional nodes online as needed and enhancing database performance. The data must be split among various data centers that are dispersed throughout the world.
The database must be accessible all the time so that the user can get the data whenever he or she needs it. The cloud database must be easy to manage, and it should reduce costs as well.
The data on various data centers with various locations is stored in the cloud database. The rational database management system is distinct from the cloud database structure. The cloud database’s structure is complicated as a result. A cloud database has many nodes, is designed for query services, has data centers spread across various geological locations, and has corporate data centers. This linking is required for straightforward and comprehensive access to the database via cloud services.
Advantages of cloud database
With the advent of computing and cloud computing, the cloud database is picking up its pace in making its permanent place in the IT world. Several advantages make it preferable and adoptable by many companies for its matchless services in a very cost-saving manner. If the companies do not get the services of a cloud database, they will have to invest huge money in setting up their own data centers and then hiring separate staff to manage and take care of all the data center processes.
Here are a few advantages of adopting a cloud database.
- Technology has changed the way of business, and now people shop over the internet and rely on shopping to save time. This shift in the industry has allowed businesses to consider the quickest way to conduct online transactions. The employees used to have to install software on their computers to access the company database, but these days they don’t have time for that and would rather use already installed resources. They prefer to use the cloud database to access the information stored in their database without wasting time.
- Utilizing a cloud database has a financial benefit as well. The business does not have to spend money building out its data centers and paying for additional staff to manage them. In addition, after establishing a data center, the business will also need to purchase the software and perform maintenance.
- DBaaS providers’ cloud database service providers also free the customer from making any immediate changes in the database. On the other hand, the cloud database providers also offer scalability at peak times that do not let the company’s performance go down.
- Information can now be accessed freely from any location without restriction to a home computer, thanks to cloud computing. As a result, it is a very potent technology that businesses prefer because it allows clients, staff, or authorities to access the information they need at any time and from any location.
- Many other benefits of cloud databases make it the best option available to the larger organizations and companies that need to hold terabytes of data. The cloud database makes the availability of data possible anytime from anywhere.
Disadvantages of cloud database
As there are advantages of using a cloud database, there are disadvantages as well. The disadvantages can be alarming sometimes for companies.
- Companies must pay as determined for using the cloud database. The business will be required to pay each time data is extracted from the database. The company may be paying more than anticipated if there is a high volume of data transfers with the database.
- We don’t have complete control over the server hosting our database, another drawback of using a cloud database. The software set up on those computers is not under our control. You can do nothing to increase the security of the cloud database. The only person on whom the client can depend is the provider. Security concerns can cause a lot of trouble for businesses.
- The data you have hosted on the cloud database is dependent on the service provider. The data and information about a company are the most important asset for the organization. The organization cannot afford to lose information about its customers and company policies. The company or the organization may face heavy losses if the information is given to the wrong hands.
- As masses of data are hosted on the cloud database, it is very difficult to transfer that data to your computer. For this purpose, internet speed must be high. On the other hand, the traditional database can transfer data at a very high speed.
- If the client wants to switch the database from one service provider to a new one, he may face problems. The reason is that each service provider uses its methods and techniques for storing data. The organization must be very careful about the selection of a DBaaS provider.
- A cloud database requires data to be fetched over the internet, so if the server is down, it might be impossible to access the server’s data. When the information is unavailable when required, this results in enormous losses.