Home safety is something that you can never afford to overlook. The last thing you want is to experience a burglary or safety hazard. Unfortunately, according to reports, a burglary occurs every 14 seconds in the United States, and two-thirds of those break-ins are residential.
Two of every three burglaries are committed in houses, apartments, or other residential dwellings. The majority (60%) of residential burglaries occur during daylight hours, while non-residential burglaries occur primarily at night.
64% of burglaries require forcing a door or window to gain entry. Most houses and apartments, however, are protected by simple and relatively ineffective door and window locks. Therefore, all citizens must take steps by learning how to secure their property and report suspicious activities around their homes. Target hardening and protecting your homes and properties using physical security devices is an excellent starting point.
If you are looking for ways to upgrade your home safety and security, you have come to the right place. This post takes a close look at the top home security tips 2021.
Before we cover the recommended police tips for home security, it is important to understand home safety and security. It refers to measures that can help enhance the safety and security of a property.
Top home security tips
1. Embrace technology
One of the top police tips for home security that you need to consider is embracing technology. There is more to home safety than just a security system. You have to go all the way if you want to keep your property safe from various home security risks.
Install the latest app to monitor live updates and follow disaster recommendations for your location. It will help keep you in the know about lightning strikes, hurricanes, earthquakes, fires, and more. Similarly, you must install the latest security system in your home to leverage its capabilities for a safe home as it provides excellent security and does not compromise on key areas.
2. Cover the basics
The next tip that you can follow is covering the basics. They are just as important as the latest safety features at home. Here are some of the basics that you must master.
- Never hide a spare key under the front doormat.
- Choose pick-resistant deadbolts for all door entries.
- Have curtains or blinds for the windows to keep valuables out of sight.
- Keep all the windows and doors locked at all times.
- Ensure that the window locks work properly and get new locks for windows that do not have any.
3. Get your property inspected by a gas safety engineer every year
Gas safety is extremely important. It is not something that you can take lightly. You must hire a gas safety engineer who holds a valid gas certificate. The professional will inspect the boiler, the gas appliances, and the gas supply. If any issue is observed, they will make the necessary repair.
If you are renting a property, you need to ask your landlord to hire a gas safety engineer to inspect your property every year.
4. Ensure electrical and fire safety
Even though you might have a fire instance, you still need to focus on fire safety by following the tips below.
- Store hazardous chemicals away from flammable objects.
- Keep fabrics away from the heating vents.
- Avoid using extension cords for replacing permanent wiring.
- Do not place running electrical cords under rugs or above ceiling tiles as they release heat.
- Never use an appliance when the cord is hot.
- Get the chimney inspected every two years if you have one at home.
- Place carbon monoxide and smoke detectors throughout the property.
5. Safety with pets, elders, and children
One of the safety features at home that you must consider is safety for pets, elders, and children. Walk through the property and assess the safety needs of your pets, kids, and older relatives. The following will prove useful.
- Get a rubber mat for the bathtub to avoid slipping.
- Fix any damage or cracks in the flooring.
- Keep the footpaths clear of clutter, electrical cords, and unnecessary items.
- Store medications away from children.
- Lock away firearms.
- Install child-proofing devices.
- Place night lights along the hallway.
6. Deter intruders
An important home safety and security feature to consider is keeping intruders at bay. It is one of the most important safety features at home. Criminals are more likely to break into homes that lack security measures. If you are away a lot of the time or want to boost security, here is how you can prevent criminals from breaking in.
- Use smart home devices for programming indoor lights to switch on and off at the designated time.
- Install motion-sensing lights that connect with the smart home system and turn on whenever someone triggers them.
- Do not leave a public trial.
- Forward your mail if you are away, or get your neighbor to pick it up.
- Keep all valuables locked away in a safe.
7. Stock up on necessities
A first aid kit is an absolute must for every household. It should also contain a list of emergency contacts. The following should be included in the first aid kit.
- Aspiring or ibuprofen
- Alcohol wipe packets
- Oral thermometer
- Gauze roller bandage
- Sterile gauze pads
- Adhesive bandages
- An adhesive cloth tape
8. Learn food safety
A costly mistake that many people tend to make is cutting corners regarding food preparation and hygiene. It is especially true among busy professionals. Here are some of the most important tips that you should actively follow for food safety.
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds before you prepare food.
- Clean the lids of the cans before you open them.
- Rinse the produce with water before you cook it or eat it raw.
- Separate uncooked meat from groceries and store it.
- Cook your meals thoroughly to kill pathogens. You can use a food thermometer when cooking to ensure that the pathogens have been killed.
- Store the leftovers in a freezer or refrigerator within 2 hours to prevent bacterial growth. It would be just an hour in case of hot weather or being outdoors.
9. Prevent pests
Critters like rodents and bugs at home can make your life miserable. It is why you need to keep pests at bay. Here is how you can ensure natural pest control.
- Make sure that the doors and windows have airtight weatherproofing.
- Sprinkle diatomaceous earth onto the baseboards and along with the corners of every room. It is a non-toxic powder that is naturally derived and does an incredible job at killing just about every type of insect possible.
- Seal up any cracks in the countertops, baseboards, and flooring.
- Diffuse essential oils that possess insecticidal qualities. Use oils that repel everything, from cockroaches to ants. They will also help kill bacteria. Popular options include peppermint oil, cinnamon oil, geranium oil, lavender oil, eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil, and thyme oil. You can even combine the essential oils with vinegar to prepare the ultimate cleaning spray that deters insects on surfaces and floors.
10. Keep outdoor areas secure
Lastly, you cannot forget about securing outdoor areas. The landscaping around the property provides the first barrier to entry. In addition to a smart doorbell and outdoor surveillance, here are some of the actions that you should take to keep outdoor areas secure.
- Reduce the risk of a fire by checking for dry vegetation around the property and clearing it out.
- Keep rock salts on hand if it snows where you live. If your driveway ends up icing over, you can place salt to bring down the temperature. It will ensure that it melts so that you can shovel away the slushy ice.
- Fence the pool on your property if you have kids.
- Install a fence around your home and have a locked gate to add a layer of security. It will also provide much-needed privacy.
Now you know how to keep your home safe
Once you have finished reading our post, you will know the top home safety and security features. Each of these features will help take your home security game to the next level.
Since there has been a rise in criminal activity ever since the coronavirus pandemic broke out, you must prioritize home security. The more precautions you take, the better. It would be best if you also watch the news regularly to stay updated.
About the author
Muhammad Shoaib provides ghostwriting and copywriting services. His educational background in the technical field and business studies helps him tackle topics ranging from career and business productivity to web development and digital marketing.